Saturday 7 September 2013

Lights, camera, action... The next Tom Cruise?

As you know we had our first filming session for the "Building the Dream" series, it was the first time for either of us doing anything like that, and what made it even more nerve wracking was that until this day we hadn't even met anyone from True North - and we haven't even seen an episode, because it hasn't been on air yet... Sorry if this goes on a bit, but I just wanted to try and capture everything that happened. 




After work at the Garage on Tuesday night, I went to help mum and dad do a bit more towards their move, but once it got dark we headed back to the van for the compulsory "tidy up, cobweb check & bathroom clean." I tried to explain that it was 3 men coming and they probably wouldn't notice cobwebs anyway, but alas my point was ignored so I gathered the feather duster to remove the webs. I wasn't feeling particularly nervous that evening, more curious as to how the day would unfold - all we knew was that the crew were going to be with us at around 10 am, with Charlie joining us around 10:30 and we would be heading to lunch around 12:30 at The Corners. Tidying and temporary removal done for the night, we went to bed.

I woke early (again), so got up to do a bit more moving/tidying. I think nervously excited best describes how I was feeling. When Fliss got up a little later, she didn't seem at all worried about the cameras, just wanting to make sure the van was clean... 

We had a phone call around 9 from Lee the director for the day to say traffic was bad and they wouldn't be here until 11ish. It wasn't a major problem because we had both planned for the day anyway... When the crew arrived, I don't know why (as only 2 names were mentioned when we were confirming things), I was expecting more than 2 people. Both Lee & Stoksey introduced themselves and immediately made us feel at ease, there was an energy that they seemed to generate. They were more or less straight to it, with barely even time to have a cuppa. We had a quick walk around the plot and Lee ran through what would happen, while Stoksey fetched the camera out of the van (slightly better & different to my Nikon) and set up checking light etc. Charlie arrived and we chatted for a while, mostly about cars and living in the Caravan & I made another cuppa (see I do make the tea). So far so good.

We then set about filming, it was fairly light hearted, with banter between the crew and Charlie. We were told to relax and ignore the camera and then it was shoved in our faces approx 2 feet away from us (very relaxing!!!) It started with a Q & A session where Charlie asked questions about our plans etc and after a nervous start I got into it a bit. Fliss didn't seem at all phased, which I have to say I was surprised about. This first part took a couple of hours and the questions & answers were asked several times and it was shot from several directions/ways. Once we shot a few rushes, yep I am now down with the lingo (although I'm not sure if it means the same as I think it does), we finished that segment and headed down to The Corners Inn

The next section of filming was focused on our plans. Both Border Oak & JJH Architectural Design had agreed to let the plans be filmed and used for the program. Whilst we waited Charlie spent some time looking over the plans, but no notes were made - I said that must be good news, Charlie laughed... we then re-started filming and we discussed the plans, I can't actually remember the discussion we had, but then Charlie began to scribble on the drawings. It seemed to be about 100 miles per hour, then he hit us with his suggestions. Silence. It felt like we were silent for about half an hour, both Fliss and I were stunned. I hadn't been expecting that and I felt myself getting agitated and defending what we had done previously. I really don't know why because it wasn't supposed to be picking apart our plans, and on reflection it wasn't even given to us in that way. I think it demonstrates how much this all means to me. We broke for lunch and once that was done, we went back and discussed his suggestions again on camera - it was at that point that it registered some of the suggestions he made were really good and one of the would transform the house, in our view (now we have got used to it), for the better. All I can remember thinking was, oh god, we've only got around 2 weeks to get these changes made before the building starts being produced - how on earth would this work as we didn't really want to delay the build any further... Thankfully after a few Emails and phone calls to Jim at JJH & Border Oak, I think we will be OK (I'll come back to this next week).

We then wrapped up the filming inside, Wayne Mills the new club house manager at Luctonians attempted a bit of discreet photo bombing, when moving the van (hopefully he managed to get in the shot) and we moved outside for the final bit of filming for the day. The last bit was a walk down the village, I assume for some kind of intro to the program.



We finished, sorted out the agreements and then left, with our own camera (not quite as good as the one being used on the day I might add) to use in between filming sessions. With the exception of a quick Oldfields/Markhams rescue for the crew (thanks Tavey for the lending the tools), who managed to push a step onto the tyre when going down a curb on the way out of The Corners, that was it.

I don't think Tom Cruise has anything to worry about just yet, but I don't think we did too bad considering! Next blog I'll talk through Charlies suggestions for the revised plans (again, sorry Jim).

Thanks, Tim

PS - The first series on Building the Dream will be on air on More 4 at 9pm Tuesday from next week (10th September). We'll be watching to see what we have let ourselves in for!

No comments:

Post a Comment