Saturday 28 September 2013

Back to the future...

or maybe not?

I saw on facebook that last Tuesday was the date in which the famed (for people of my era) Delorean visited and it got me thinking of how I may have been watching our build being carried out if more of the things shown in the film were as predicted - for starters Mark & Pete, the builders, might have arrived on their hover boards...  I can't tell you how disappointed I am to find out that unless it is the date in Episode 3 where they don't actually name a date, I am 2 years and the best part of a month too early!

Even though the Back to the Future hoax has rendered me a bit disappointed this week has given me a glimpse into our future... in more ways than one!

We've both been off this week, so we could see things unfold, make tea for the workers, lean on a shovel a bit, and hand out Fliss' Bacon sarnies! Within the first two days of the week the house has been marked out, foundations dug and inspected by building control. Now we can start to see the space in reality.


 Part way through digging foundation trenches

Foundation trenches dug out and inspected, ready to pour concrete! The hole in the center isn't for a toilet  (thank you for that input Phil Clewer), but the newel post for the turn in the stairs

We also had the drawings for the frame through from Border Oak for us to approve. They were exactly what we were hoping for and gave us a little bit more understanding of how the mix of oak & soft wood frame would work together. On Wednesday we had a day off building activity on site, but we managed to squeeze in some filming for "Building the Dream" with cameraman Lee. It was just the three of us this time and we re-capped what had happened during the last filming session along with what was going on at present. It was good fun and felt much easier this time around - Lee also managed to have a bit of cake! We also signed off the amendments from Border Oak, because of the changes we made and received an idea of how the schedule of the build might work out if everything goes to plan. On Thursday, I had my chance to get behind the camera and film the concrete being poured. Not sure I will be the next "Lee Chapman", but gave it my best and we'll see if any of it is used when the cut is produced (yep another technical term I'm not sure is exactly right, but I know what I mean)!!!

The biggest bit of news of our story, isn't directly related to the build, however by way of a poem I wrote especially, I also managed to convince Fliss to agree to be my wife! Those that know Fliss well, know how fussy she is (especially Jewelry) so I had spoken to Darren Pugh Design to give him some ideas I had. How wrong my ideas were, but we have been over to design the ring, scale drawings will be done for a week Tuesday. Although I didn't envisage we'd be pouring concrete on the morning of my proposal, I had it all planned out and managed to keep it a surprise! 

So, all in all a very exciting week! Not sure I can top this one (for me anyway) next week, but will keep you up to date on how things progress with the block work on the base! The bricks and blocks have been delivered and are here ready to go. 

By for now, from a VeRy HaPpY mE!

Follow our build on Twitter www.twitter.com/fortyacresbuild 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your engagement from Tunnel Lane Orleton.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete